Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Top 25 Most Played Songs

I have this habit where I listen to a specific track on repeat for a week or so, which means that my top 25 most played are songs that I just can't get the hell out of my head.
When I got my Laptop back in December, I basically never listened to it, I only downloaded music to it, which I then transferred to my PC. Well, now that my desktop doesn't get internet, I almost never use it, so it's drastically altered where I listen to music. The Top 25 on my Laptop and Desktop are very different, and my top 25 on my laptop are from July or August, when my old hard drive broke and I had to get a new one.

So, my Top 25 Most Played Songs and Why

1. Fall Out Boy - From Now On, We Are Enemies



I've gone on and on about this song in other posts. It's an incredibly addictive song with a gorgeous chorus, and I'll never be able to get Patrick Stump's voice out of my head. It's just so soothing to me. This song seemed to be a very good mix of the sounds they had in each of their albums, and as a band they've grown so much over the years. It's such a shame that FOB died along with their greatest hits record.


2. Kings of Leon - Use Somebody



This song is like an adult lullaby for me. Anthony Followill's voice drones on so melodically that I can't not sway when I hear the song. The words are so full of emotion and, while the lyrics aren't always sensical, the way he sings it says more than the words ever could. Listening to it makes my brain dance. ...which makes no sense to anyone but me, but that's fine.

3. Jay Brannan - Bowlegged and Starving


(if you don't want to hear him speak, jump to 0.53)

Jay Brannan is one of the most brilliant young singer/songwriters out there, and this song is the best he could write. The verses sound kind of silly, but the stark juxtaposition between the verse and the chorus is stunning. Sure, the lyrics are a little sophomoric in places, but this is another song that makes my brain dance. It's just so damn beautiful. I guarantee you, this song will soon be the number one on my top 25. I cannot get this mans voice out of my head.

4. All Time Low - Damned if I Do Ya, Damned if I Don't (MTV Unplugged version)



I love when a punk or pop song goes acoustic, and All Time Low does it like a pro with this rendition of Damned if I Do Ya. Alex Gaskarth has so much fucking fun with this band, and loves every second of performing with them. They're a bunch of scrawny goofballs who suddenly have all the ladies... and they're not gonna let you forget them anytime soon. :-)

5. Carly Lind feat. Jesse Devine - Breakeven



This girl is gonna be all sorts of famous someday. Every song she sings, she feels 100%. When she covers Tik Tok or Telephone, she can't stop herself from dancing. When she sings Breakeven, she looks like she's about to cry. The original song Breakeven is by a group called The Script, and it's one of those songs that absolutely needed to be acoustic, and Carly and Jesse do a killer job with it. I've been listening to this on repeat for a few days now and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

6. Cartel - The Minstrel's Prayer



It's a song about making music not for money, fame, fortune.... but to win hearts.
This is seriously the only Cartel song that I can tolerate. I think what gets me with it is that boom, boom-boom. I can't get that out of my head.

7. Say Anything - Crush'd (acoustic)



Say Anything was actually my first concert. This song is just completely addictive with it's blend of shallow and sophisticated lyrics, simple guitar riffs, and lyrical breakdown of love. It's worth listening to on repeat for a few days.

8. Jay Brannan - Housewife



A beautiful tribute to the boy we'll never have. What can I say, I love Jay's voice. Mmmm.

9. Jay Brannan - Both Hands (album version)

I can't seem to find the album version of this anywhere on youtube... but anyway, this song is addictive, and due to it only being 1.27 long, it made it into my top 25 very quickly.

10. The Cab - Risky Business



What got me with this song is honestly when they sing "'cuz I'm coming over" and the background vocal goes up a few notes. I know that sounds silly, but I love hearing it. I know, I know. ...I'm weird.


11. Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Follow You Into the Dark

This is one of the first songs I learned how to play properly on Jam Sessions DS, so I spent a lot of time listening to it to make sure I was getting it somewhere near correct. Yeah, I'm embarrassed that this is on my countdown....

12. The Maine - I Must Be Dreaming (acoustic)



I didn't like the album version of this song very much, but I love this version. ...I guess I love upbeat acoustic songs? I dunno, but the lyrics of this song are so freakin' beautiful. It's such a simple explanation of what love is.

13. Ke$ha - Tik Tok

Okay, so I did a whole Ke$ha post so I'm not gonna talk about this. I'm gonna post the video and the Carly Lind cover.





14. The Scene Aesthetic - Untitled

I found this song on Andrew DeTorres' tumblr or something, and I have no idea how to go about finding it for y'all. Just trust me that it's fucking adorable.

15. The Friday Night Boys - Stuttering



The Friday Night Boys may have sold out a bit (they used to be completely electronica-pop, but when they got signed to FBR they knew they had to up their game a bit) but I can't get enough of this song. It's so much fun, and I love the repetition. Something about the Stutter in a song has always gotten me. LOVE it.

16. Cast of Glee - Keep Holding On



Okay please don't make fun of me, but when they sang this I cried. It was important. Shut up! Stop making fun of me. Please?

17. Jay Brannan - Beautifully


(Jump to 1.40 if you don't wanna hear him talk)

I really should stop talking about Jay, but it's not like I could try to stop listening to him, so what-the-fuck-ever. He's wonderful. Just listen to this song.

18. The Follow Through - So High



Wow, I didn't realize that The Follow Through was just one whimpy lookin' kid until right about now. ...that may change how I feel about this song. ...well, it's an amazing song that gives a pretty accurate description of what true love is supposed to be like. It makes my brain dance. :-)

19. Forever the Sickest Kids feat. Selena Gomez - Woah Oh!



Love this band. ...Selena Gomez can suck it, but I love this band. They sold out hardcore though, they hang out with Nickelodeon kids and appear in Nerf Commercials. Still, I love this song.

20. Jason Mraz - If It Kills Me (acoustic)



This is the first time I heard this song, and this routine restored my faith in contemporary choreography, so yeah, this song is a little bit important to me. :-)

21. Lady Gaga - Paparazzi

I still don't know how this is up there. I think I listened to it for like a day. Yes, I am embarrassed.

22. Sam Hart - Mario Kart Love Song



If you know me at all, then you have no reason to be concerned that I only got this song about two days ago.

23. Jay Brannan - Good Mother



(skip to 0.40 if you don't want to hear the horrendous announcer do her thing)

This is actually the video that introduced me to Jay Brannan. I loved this improvised West Coast Swing so much because of this song. Then I stalked out the song and loved every second of it. Mmmmm Jay Brannan.

24. Neon Trees - Animal



It's the chorus of this song that I can never get out of my head. It's SO GOOD. Okay, it's lyrical crap, but it's simplistic and real. Also, when he says "Say goodbye to my heart tonight," it sounds like "Take a bite of my heart tonight," which quite frankly, I like better. So there.

25. Backseat Goodbye - 32 Ways to Make You Smile



It's a short adorable acoustic song. Of course it's on my 25 most played!!




Okay, there's my top 25!! Feel free to comment with your own. Does anything match up?

No comments:

Post a Comment