Wednesday, July 29, 2009

5,000th Song!!

So I promised 32 years ago that I'd do a big ol' blog about my 5,000th song. Sorry that didn't happen. I've had a lot of stuff going on - no job, new harddrive, wishing I had the money to get the eff out of my house... you know the drill.

Well, anyways, here it is - my 5,000th song!!

Sister Hazel - Best I'll Ever Be (acoustic)

This was my favorite band when I was younger, and I happened to be YouTubing around and found this gorgeous acoustic version of an already beautiful song.
Before my computer crashed and I got a new harddrive, this song was already number one on my lappy's Top 25 Most Played... because this song is beautiful.

From Wikipedia:

Sister Hazel Williams was an African-American woman who ran Sister Hazel's Rescue Mission in Gainesville, FL. during the 1970s and early '80s. This facility gave those who were down on their luck a safe place to stay warm, eat and regroup, regardless of age, race or beliefs. It is in this spirit of unconditional concern for all beings that the band chose to use her name.



Sister Hazel was formed in 1994 as an alternative rock band, and has been recording and touring ever since. Their first big hit was off their 1997 sophomore album
Somewhere More Familiar called All For You, which made it to #11 on the Billboard Hot 100. (An acoustic version was later released feat. Blues Traveler frontman John Popper.) Somewhere More Familiar was a line from their song We'll Find It (featured in The Wedding Planner). My personal favorite song from the album was Ceriline, and was the last song I listened to in that Millenium.

Their Junior Album,
Fortress, wasn't as well received, though it's strongest track, Your Winter (featured on the 10 Things I Hate About You soundtrack,) wasn't released as a single. The group was unable to come close to their previous #11 spot, only reaching #59 with their song Change Your Mind. Other good tracks include Champagne High, Beautiful Thing, Thank You, and Strange Cup of Tea. If ...Something More Familiar was a 10, Fortress was definitely no more than an 8.

Their next album,
Chasing Daylight, sold even more poorly. The band moved towards a more Pop/Country/Christian Rock feel vs their prior adult rock feel. Though there were some great songs on the cd like Come Around and Swandive, the music just wasn't the same.

About a year and a half later, they released their next CD
Lift. Not gonna lie, I didn't get it. Nor did I get Absolutely. I've heard a few tracks though, and they're not bad. Ken Block's vocals are stellar as always, and I know that their Die-Hard fans will remain loyal.

Their next and 7th studio album,
Release, will be released on August 18th.

Sister Hazel also promote AIDS awareness.







No comments:

Post a Comment