Friday, June 5, 2009

Throwback Blog #1



Aight guys, so every now and then, I'm gonna talk about some songs that you may have forgotten about (or, in some cases, wish you'd forgotten about.) Let's start this, shall we?

Ella, ella, ella, eh eh eh
Released in 2007, Rihanna's Umbrella was was a chart thrasher. Since then, the song has been remixed to hell, including remixes by Shaggy, Lil' Mama, Chris Brown, and Travis Barker; on top of it, the song has been covered by everyone and their mother including All Time Low, Boyce Avenue, and Plain White T's. However, thanks to its multitude of remakes and remixes, the original is getting cool again. I've seen it aired now multiple times on vh1 and mtv, signaling America's "okay" for hearing this overplayed song again.



My Heart is Crushed by a Former Love
Though The All-American Rejects have just come back into the swing of things with killer singles such as Gives You Hell and I Wanna, along with their newest track The Wind Blows, we can't forget where AAR came from. Their EP, Same Girl New Songs was actually chock full of strong unique tracks coupled with tracks that would later be re-vamped to appear on their debut self-titled album The All-American Rejects. I still count that CD as one of my favorites of all time. The second I heard Swing, Swing I ran out and purchased the album. My sophomore year of high school was all about this cd, until someone stole my cd player in gym class. In an attempt to download the cd again (the RIAA wasn't suing back then, folks) I accidentally the EP and fell in love. I managed to get a copy of the debut album, and still listen to it basically all the time. With the singles Swing, Swing, The Last Song, Time Stands Still, and My Paper Heart, this was truly an album to be reckoned with.



I dunno, Meth is a hell of a drug, Peter...
The Black Eyed Peas have made one hell of a comeback. After Fergie and Will.I.Am's solo careers, I was more than nervous for the return of the group. They've not only managed to pull it off, but they've also managed to reinvent themselves for a new era of pop artists. We can't, however, forget some of the beautiful tracks they've put out in the past - Hey Mama, Let's Get Retarded, My Humps, Don't Phunk With My Heart.... all total hits. Their newest single is called "I Gotta Feeling" and is definitely different than anything they've ever put out.



No comments:

Post a Comment